Sunday, March 18, 2018

Blyde River Canyon

It was with some sadness that I left my merry band of new South African friends behind.  They, including the guides, were a terrific group and made the whole  experience quite memorable-

They knew how to rough it too- there was no shortage of gin and tonics, whiskey, wine and beer for what they call here "sundowners" or at the evening meal. 

I journeyed then to Blyde River Canyon just west of Kruger park in the northeast of the country.  It is the 3rd largest canyon in the world and quite impressive-





It is unique among canyons because it so green. 

Within the canyon, there are the famous 3 rondavels, which look a little like traditional SA huts by the same name-



I took a hike deep into the canyon and found a deserted swimming hole with a waterfall on my way back.  The water was cold but not icy and so I decided to go for a quick swim....below the falls-


No comments:

Post a Comment