Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Riding the tiger (ostrich) and slip sliding away....

Yesterday brought me to Oudtshoorn, which as you all know, is the ostrich capital of the world (it is about 200 miles NE of CPT in the Little Karoo).  I decided to visit an ostrich farm and see if I could not tame these wild beasts.  I got an excellent tour of the farm and a description of the life of an ostrich in general.  Did not know they could see for 10km, could run up to 70km/hr and have vicious and large clawed feet, so they are little vulnerable to predators.

  So great eye sight, but pea size brains, evidently.  Hence, i felt that, in captivity and with guides and herders, I was a match for them-




The wild west was nothing like this-



A rare albino ostrich-



 After mastering the wily ostrich, I moved on and decided to explore the heretofore rarely seen Cango Caves, which do offer hourly tours, but only to 4pm.   I took the 'adventure tour' which had you sliding thru some very tight places.  My guide told me that one rather unadventure fit woman had gotten stuck for hours in one of the tight passages such that they had to bring in a 50 gallon drum of butter fat to get her thru-







You have to be slim in the hips to get thru the Cango Caves Adventure Tour, otherwise you are likely to suffer the ignominy of gallons of butterfat.

1 comment:

  1. Give me the zip-line any day. I would be terrified to go through those caves, even with the security of gallons of butter fat, or any fat for that matter.

    ReplyDelete