Thursday, March 8, 2018

Hiking in the Berg;.. Or how green is my valley?

I arrived in the central Drakenberg Mountains, or the 'Berg' as we call it here.  The Berg reputedly offers some of the best hiking in Africa and I was here to test that assertion.  It is in the middle of the country abutting the Kingdom of Lesotho to the west. The Berg is divided into north, central and south and, liking compromises, I decided on the central Berg for my all day hike (Drakenberg means Dragon's Mtns'). 

I was off to a good start, as given my occasional misdirection, the trail had my name on it-


It was an overcast and occasionally rainy day, but still it was fairly clear for the most part.  If you want to be alone with your thoughts, I do recommend the Berg as I saw one other person during my 7 hour hike.  The name of the looming mtn is called Monk's Cowl-






The unique thing about the Drakenbergs is how green are they given their stark rise-







So green is this valley




And it has the added benefit of the last trash place on earth-



Yeah, they deserve their reputation as one of the best places to hike in Africa...or anywhere for that matter.  


No comments:

Post a Comment