Saturday, March 3, 2018

Zip Line and Rounding the Cape...

I finished my tour of the Cape of Good Hope and headed for my dreaded zip line experience in the Hottentot Holland Nature Reserve about 70 miles inland from the Cape Town area.  As the operator indicated that I would forfeit my payment if I did not arrive before my tour departed, I made sure I left myself plenty of time to get there.  In fact, I got there over 30 minutes early and thought that, for once, I would have time to relax, have a cup of coffee and get ready for my zips.  However...

On arrival, the tour guide asked me if, as I was quite early, I wanted to join the current group just leaving now. 

Me- "Well, I guess so.  But what about the 30 minute safety briefing?'

Guide-  'We are set to go.  Any fear of heights?"

"Actually, I am quite afr--"

"Ever been on a zip line before?"

"Ah actually n-"

"You are good to go!  Jump in!"

I shuffled off to what looked like a tumbler on the way to the guillotine and joined the other condemned.  As we set off, I did notice a woman knitting nearby.  So much for getting there early. 

Of course, I was last in line as we began zipping so I had plenty of time to think about it.  As I got to the front, I asked "Safety briefing?"

 "Stay clipped and don't fall off!"  And then he pushed me off.







It was a beautiful area and picture perfect day-







The drops were considerable.... At least I think they were, but it was hard to tell with your eyes closed.  13 zips... it was a blast and I would do it again for sure.







The day after I traveled to the true end of Africa- Cape Agulhas- its southern most point where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. Like a latter day, land-based Bartolomo Diaz, I set out for the bottom of Africa in my trusty land ship "Renault" armed with little more than my ancient 2015 map, GPS, and mobile phone, as well as a few stops at the local tourist offices.  Eventually, I found my way to deserted wind swept Cape where I somehow found another explorer to take my photo-


There is a pretty lighthouse there that I think was erected by Diaz in 1492-




An interesting place with more of the traditional Dutch Capes-





No comments:

Post a Comment