Thursday, March 10, 2016

Leaving Rotorua, I headed north to do a hike in the Coromandel Penisula which I read gave great views to the ocean on either side of the penisula.  The ride there through rural north NZ was truly a delight.  It felt alternately like Ireland, Scotland and England, all rolled into one (the lighting was not cooperating with my camera tho)-


Really the best part of my driving trip.  I did the hike, which was mostly through the trees and fairly long, if not nearly as hard as the South Island hikes that preceded it (maybe 3300 ft of vertical 12 miles or so).  The least interesting of my 5 climbs, but I did have to climb the famous Hillary Step-


And I did encounter a future Paul McCartney on the way (not with the usual hiking baggage)-


Dont kid yourself, you needed real gear to do this hike....

And if you like butt hiking shots-


Your author at the top-





And the typical and ubiquitous NZ hanging bridge-


No comments:

Post a Comment