Monday, March 7, 2016

As I mentioned, stayed at a B&B in Arthurs Pass.  Had never really stayed at a B&B and this was a little like staying in someone's home (well, a lot actually- I had to help bring in the groceries when the owner drove up).  They had 3 'woofers' - 2 19 yr old girls from Germany and 1 28 yr old French girl from the Loire Valley.  The 'woofers' stay anywhere from a couple of days to 2 weeks or so and receive room and board in exchange for work (e.g. painting, gardening, bringing in the groceries, though the guest also must do that apparently...).  The idea is to see NZ by constantly moving and working.  The 28 yr old French girl was very nice and quite interesting; the 2 German teenagers were... well, teenagers (if I hadn't known it before, there is such a big difference between someone 19 and 28).  The owner was extremely knowledgeable about hiking and touring in NZ and gave me a lot of good info, though he was a bit on the loquacious side (as the woofers had warned me... there is a price for everything).

Left AP in the afternoon and drove 4 hours to Kaikoura on the east coast (South Pacific). Now, that is a pretty place, if one likes ocean views, particularly of farm land rolling down to the sea backed by mountains-


I did this peninsula walk there of about 6-7 miles and it is a terrific walk over rolling farmland and seaside cliffs.  I would rank it (a very close) second only to the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland as a seaside walk, though it actually has considerably more variety and perhaps more overall beauty, albeit perhaps a little bit less dramatic.  Just a fantastic walk (takes 2.5-3 hours) and would recommend to anyone coming to NZ who likes walking at all.  A nice break from the mountain climbing and again the weather was great-



Of course, Maori culture is big in NZ and they had this statue along the trail-


I think it was suppose to show this fierce Maori warrior or fisherman, but all I saw was his big butt..

As I was walking along the shore, I spotted an octopus in the water and immediately dove in, wrestled with it and captured it- sort of a Poseiden Adventure.  I then gave it to this girl to hold-



Ok, so maybe she caught the octopus, but someone took the picture.  What a walk...



1 comment:

  1. I wonder what it's like to hold an octopus? Looks squishy. Catching up on posts-- spectacular views!! -- Louise

    ReplyDelete