Friday, March 4, 2016

For those who like snow on their mountains, there is Mt Cook- but right now my internet connection is just too slow and I cannot load any pictures.

So, I decided to do the Mueller Hut hike today at Mt Cook park  which was about 3400 ft of vertical, which I figured would not be too bad after the 4000+ previous hikes. No walk in the park but ok (well, actually it was a walk in an national park) .

 However, it had a new definition of steep.  The first part was nothing but steps- 600 vertical meters or like a 2000 ft stairmaster.  I should have just stayed in the hotel gym and gotten a video of Mt. Cook while using the stairmaster- that way I could have quit after 100 or steps and then just watched the video in some comfort.  But after the stairs, it actually got worse- a little steeper but no stairs to help you.  Because of my blisters, I hiked in sneakers (surprising how many people do that), but it was a Hobsons choice as my heels and toes took a beating, tho it helped with the blisters.

Eventually made it to the top where you do get this fantastic view of Mt. Cook and the surrounding Southern Alps.  Cook has to be one of the worlds most beautiful mountains (I can hear Andrea yelling Matterhorn!, but there are other beautiful mountains).  Of course, there were Germans at the top.  There always are.  In fact, a whole section of Germany seems to be on vacation here, mostly young people.  Naturally when I ask, they are here for months on their standard Euro holiday, though many are doing this .woofing. thing (working for for room and board for a few weeks at different places).  In something of a return to the 60s many drive around in these old VW buses and others hitchhike.  Surprising how many hitchhikers.

Will write more with some pictures when I get a better connection

No comments:

Post a Comment