Monday, February 9, 2015

Feb 9-  Went to the famous Perito Moreno Glacier today.  It is the number 1 sight in Argentina.  And I would say it lived up to its billing.  And I am sure some would like to see some photos to see what all the fuss is about, but we are having what we call technical difficulties (difficile technique in Spanish) down here.

To use my usual paradigm, I would say it is the Columbian ice fields meet the Great Wall of  China.  Actually, that is wide of the mark,, as no other glacier I have ever seen comes close to this 30km and 200 fit high glacial extending from the longest glacier outside of Antartica.  Just stunning.  As Craze would say, it is hard to grasp the scale.  I could look at it for hours.

You take a boat underneath the 200 ft headwall and then do a trek on the glacier with this tour company.  Of course, the glacier is always calving and if the boat gets too close, then a big block of ice smacks it and the boat capsizes.  You then hopefully  grab your box lunch and swim for shore, where you eat your soggy ham sandwhich and get on the bus back to El Calafate a little worse for wear.

On the mini-trek on the glacier, I met a guy from Korea who was volunterring in Peru. He was always asking me to take his picture, when he always flashed the victory sign like some Korean Churchill (I guess conquering Patagonia?)   I asked him if crime was a problem where he lived in Peru and he said yes.  He said, however, that the key was not having anything of value on you when you are robbed. Good advice, certainly.  Next time I come to South American I am just arriving with the shirt on my back.

Have some great pictures of the glacier but cannot load them.  A crappy substitute below.


No comments:

Post a Comment