Thursday, February 19, 2015

Took a long- 13+ hours- bus ride from Punta Arenas on the Strait of Magellan to Ushuia at the end of Tierra del Fuego (or TdF as we call it down here- or at least I do).  I had thought the Straits would be interesting and that they are surrounded by mountains.  However, like Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca, I was misinformd, as they really are no mountains around the Strait.  Sort of the rolling Patagonia hills just going down to the sea.  Of course, it is a big place, as the Strait is 300 miles long, but less scenic than I thought.  You take a ferry to get to TdF, which actually for the first 11 hours or so seems like an extension of this part of Patagonia.  If you are heading to Ushuaia for a long weekend, I would not necessarily recommend the bus ride.

Ushuaia, on the other hand, is horse (or city) of a different color.  It is indeed ringed by snow capped mountains, which run down to the beauiful Beagle Channel (named after the ship carrying Darwin which came through here around 1845 or so.  Poor Magellan- cannot even get a decent Channel named after him, even though he was first by a good margin (1520).  Took a cruise out into the Beagle Channel and it is truly a beautiful setting.  Was lucky as it was a clear morning- it rains here more than 200 days each year.  As I discovered the next 2 days....   Still I am quite glad I came to Ushuaia as it is spectacular setting.

A few pictures from the Beagle Channel-





If you are wondering why I am always wearing the same jacket in these pictures, it is because I am always wearring that jacket.  I never take it off, even when I am sleeping.  You need it keep the wind and rain at bay, which are ubiquitous here.  It is not terribly cold here at the bottom, but by no means warm.  Maybe 45 degrees.  Still, a little warmer than Boston perhaps..

1 comment: