Sunday, February 15, 2015

I have to admit that the Refugios are one step up (maybe more) from the tents that invariably surround it like a beseiging army.  In fact, sometimes they seemed to have 2 seatings for dinner, one for the regular refugiosos (I would guess that is the spanish word for hutites) and a second one for the tent crowd.  Something like 1st and 2nd class refugio citizens.  While I appreciated being in the elite refugiosos crowd, I did not like the tent people with their noses pressed up against the windows staring in at us hungarily as we ate our gruel.  The Refugios should get some shades.  Or perhaps just give them some hot water for their freeze dried gruel and keep them out all together.

  I also found it surprising that they put the tents so close to the trail.

 I imagined that there could be a substantial risk that if you poked your head out of the tent at the wrong time, you could get whacked in the noggin and then trampled by a group of high speed German hikers before they even knew you were there.

But I am not sure that is the biggest risk for the tent regiment.  I noticed also that at one Refugio they put a hitching post right next to the last tent and they would hitch horses to it.  If you were in the last tent, I could see that with bad timing you might poke your head out at the just moment when horse was choosing to relieve itself and find your head buried under steaming dung.  Really undignified.  Moreover, while you would probably avoid such bad timing, it does seem likely that your Patagonian serenity and/or sleep might well be disrupted by an odor not in keeping with your imagined pristine surroundings.  Just some thoughts for those thinking of going the tent route.

No comments:

Post a Comment