Sunday, March 5, 2017

From the Yarra Valley, I went down below Melbourne (pronounced 'Melbern' by residents one fellow told me) and went along the somewhat famous Great Ocean Road, which runs along the Southern Ocean for over 100 miles headed west toward Adelaide.  The GOR is supposedly one of the seaside drives, right up there with Big Sur in California and some of the Riveria drives in France and Italy.  I guess I will be the one to decide that. 

The first 40 miles or so of the GOR was nice and impressive, as I said, but actually less so, I thought, than some of the WA coastal tours I had done.  Until I came upon the highlight of the Road- the '12 Apostles'.  Wow!  On a picture perfect day, I must say I have never seen anything like these stunning pillars of the coast (I 'm sure my pics don't do them justice)-






Initially, I only counted 8 at most.  I assumed that the Romans had executed the other 4.  But it turned out that they were 'round the bend' or hiding in the catacombs as it were.  






If you go to Australia, I definitely recommend not missing the 12 Apostles.  Far more impressive in my view than Sydney harbor.  This put the GOR up there with the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland for me.






 



No comments:

Post a Comment