Tuesday, March 14, 2017

climbing the big red rock

You must get up; early if you want to hike the world’s most famous rock, Uluru, as the aborigines call it,  or Ayer’s Rock, as the English named it.  They close the hike at 8am due to the heat and it is a half an hour from the penal colony (I mean the resort).  Though no one lives near it and it is in an Australian national part, the local aborigines claim for their own and discourage people from hiking it.  As a result, few appear to do so-


And, though not long, it is  an arduous hike and so only the most fit attempt it-



As so many of the hikers this day were Japanese, I would guess the Aboriginal word- or at least its guilt trip- has not traveled as far as Japan.  It is not a long hike- only about 1200’ vertical- and it only took me 45 minutes to get to the top, but it is pretty steep and I had to pass half of Tokyo clinging to the chains on the way up.  While steep, I did not think it particularly exposed or dangerous (not to compare to the Dolomites).  At the top-



On the descent-




Pictures hardly do it justice, but is quite the unique place- this huge red rock with incredible texture in the middle of a vast desert plain-







There is a trail at the base that circumnavigates the rock and I walked part of that-

 



And then I drove around the rest-



No comments:

Post a Comment