Monday, March 6, 2017

Hiking in Taz

After leaving Port Arthur, I headed for Wineglass Bay in eastern Tasmania to do a hike of Mt. Amos, a mountain roughly 2000' above the bay.  Tasmanians claim Wineglass as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  You can be the judge-





I had my picture taken there, but in an odd pose-




The next day I traveled to the mountainous center of Taz to hike what is probably the most iconic hike in Tasmania/Australia- Cradle Mountain, which sits at the beginning of the reknowned Overland Trail (a 6 day hike thru the Tasmanian wilderness).  It is not common to get clear weather at Cradle Mt, but I was very lucky-




While the climb to the summit does not involve a huge amount of vertical- maybe 3000' or so- it is quite difficult as the top is a very steep jumble of boulders and it is goes on for maybe a mile or more-





I did hike a small section of the Overland Trek, tho apparently to do the entire thing, you must go thru some wombat manure-


And you can't carry any of these with you-



While at Cradle Mt, I took time to do an evening walk and it was not hard to see Wombats and Wallabys (small kangaroos essentially)-




Sadly, I have never seem so much road kill as driving around Tasmania.  It is constant and likely occurs mostly in the evenings.  I did have a Wallaby cross in front my car one evening and stop in the road- true 'wallaby' in the headlights.

On the way back to Hobart, I saw one interesting sign-




What I want to know, is where is Upper Crackpot?  

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Taz, as we call it, looks quite beautiful. Too bad about the wombats. - George K

    ReplyDelete