Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Dinan and Mont St Michel; Fluent Francais

 After leaving Bayeux and the Omaha beach segment, I headed for the next stage of the TdF KV- Brittany and the beautiful preserved Medieval city of Dinan in Brittany about 2 hours west.  This segment naturally involved another arduous shuttle by rented Eurocar, but we made it in good time notwithstanding some construction delays.

With my well known mastery of Francais (French to you Americans), I had no difficulty identifying Fish Street and other such places-



No idea why there was no biblioteque about, but perhaps French literacy has declined. 

But I wasn't quite sure why the French had so many signs referring to creeps (an anti American slur?), as most of these people seemed ok, if somewhat consumed with eating-

One thing I liked about Dinan was that it had no tourist trappings or pretensions, only the authentic half timbered houses and appropriately dressed locals-




Though I am guessing that few but medieval aficianados have heard of it, I  found this place called Mont St. Michel quite interesting.  The occasional pilgrim and traveler still visit the place over the mud flats-




While I had heard that the place was indomitable, it seemed that a  few of us were able to breach the gate-



As in medieval times, there was only limited refreshment for the occasional and poor pilgrim-


But the lonely approach to this quaint old place was nice-




I hope more people find out about the place in the future as it is well worth a visit and the 50,000 space parking lot seemed only 90% full.  



No comments:

Post a Comment