Sunday, February 27, 2022

Otavalo, belts and ponchos

 I returned from the Gs and after a one night stay back in my usual Quito stomping grounds I headed north on Saturday with most of Quito (huge traffic jam because of a holiday here) to famous market of Otavalo (about 2 hours north in normal traffic over the mountains). And in its huge and vivid panoply of colors, it did not disappoint-





As a veteran traveler i am pretty resistant to the usual hawkers of cheap souvenirs, baubles, trinkets and such.  But in this case i did need a belt and thought I might find one at the market.   What I didnt know was that I needed 3 belts and a wallet to boot.   I had thought my wallet perfectly servicable, but the hawker saw  clear defects and pointed out that it was not likely to last the day in the market.  Thank goodness I ran into the helpful street vendor.  

Of course, fresh off my successful gucho horse riding career, I also knew I needed a poncho (as a Clint Eastwood look alike from the Good, Bad and the Ugly) which I figured would fit right in in Boston and so this lady helped me with that-


Though I was not quite sure how I was $100 short at the end of the day, It was fun day at  the bustling, loud, jostling and justly famous market in Otavalo=





No comments:

Post a Comment