Monday, February 26, 2024

Rapa Nui Finis




I finished up my very enjoyable stay in Rapa Nui buying some trinkets and baubles (ie genuine almost life sized Moais),for a favored few (airplane rules limit how many tons of Maois you can carry on) and had a nice dinner overlooking a solitary Moai and the vast Pacific-




As I might have mentioned, the seafood is excellent in Ranga Noa but it is a bit of trek. Perhaps the best seafood in the world as I believe I heard they invented fishing. 

I then flew to Rio de Janeiro with a night stop over in Santiago, a mere 10 hours of flying as a metaphorical sardine. Interestingly, while I have generally found Chileans quite friendly and helpful, as well as fairly efficient in most things- e.g. the tours in San Pedro de Atacama were incredibly well organized and efficient- their immigration, passport and airport security are perhaps the slowest and most bureaucratic I have encountered in my travels. Besides showing your passport endlessly, they make you fill out different forms at different times. I filled out an immigration card which of course I subsequently lost but nobody but one bored hotel guy ever asked for it. I got stopped on my way to Easter Island at passport control and asked if I had filled out the requisite form online. Of course I had never heard of it. If I hadn’t basically handed her my phone to fill in most of the details (as I say they’re quite friendly and helpful generally), I never would have made my flight. Weird but lovable.  

A few final shots of stunning Rapa Nui 

No comments:

Post a Comment