Monday, February 12, 2024

Hiking in Andes; Hanzel and Gretal; Consistent Argentines

 I set out to hike in the Andes to the west of Mendoza.   well, ok technically they were the pre- cordellia (foothills to those of you not as fluent as I in espanol which I frequently lapse into).  But they were still plenty big and as big as most Rockies and the snow capped Andes behind....they are just so huge when you see them (it has been often overcast).  

Anyway knowing my own propensity to very occasionally get misdirected, I downloaded an All Trails map before I left the comfortable confines of my nice Bnb in Mendoza.  I set out knowing from the isolated trailhead that there would be few provisions along the way-




Forgetting about All Trails map as  I am such an experienced hiker I set off up hill at a good  clip.  By the time I looked at the All Trails map I found I was a good deal off course.  The All Trail maps aren't what they are cracked up to be (or where is my old hiking buddy Craze when you need him when you need him?  comfortably retired that's where!)

So I had to find a substitute and....eureaka I stumbled on some 'bread crumbs' from a sort of 4 footed hansel and gretal and followed those




That is until I met my guide a bit short of my destination--





They seemed disinclined to go any further so I had to make my way back to the trail on my own.  Despite the overcast weather, The trip did offer some terrific views-






On my return, I noticed this hanging bridge about 200' over the Rio Mendoza (I can"t translate everything) and so went to walk across it.  i found the bridge maintenance consistent with Argentine standards-





1 comment: