Saturday, February 24, 2018

Micro tours and the most beautiful city in the world...

I have found the level or service in SA, or at least the Cape Town area, to be quite high, whether at a hotel, restaurant or B&B.  It is  perhaps better than anywhere else I have ever been (certainly most of Europe or North America).  The So. Africans are so friendly and hospitable.  And this extends to the micro level.  At my first hotel, I was given a tour of the breakfast facility, including the egg, yogurt, fruit and bread areas.  At my first B&B, I was given a tour of my room, including the bathroom and tub.  I think I might have found my way around anyway, but it was nice that they were so solicitous. 

My first day was spent wandering the interesting and colorful streets and public gardens of Cape Town-



And then I took a sunset 'sailing' cruise off shore where one got a great view of the city, famous Table Mtn and striking Lion's Head-


Table Mtn is in the middle and Lion's Head on the right-









We saw southern whales and a Portugese carrak trying to round the Cape of Good Hope for the first time-


While on the sail boat, I met a Scot who seemed to hold strong opinions.  Viewing the stunning vista of Cape Town, he pronounced "Cape Town is the most beautiful city in the world, bar none."

Me- "Beautiful, indeed, but what about Sydney, San Fran or perhaps Hong Kong?:

"Nope, Cape Town it is.:

And then he volunteered -  "And Scotland is the most beautiful country in the world."

me-  "It is?"

"Yup, no question."

"Well, maybe New Zealand or Switzerland would argue that."

"Nope, they have determined it is Scotland."  (whoever they are)

"Global warming?"

"Settled"



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for pointing out which mountain was Table Mountain. I never would have figured it out.

    ReplyDelete