Monday, February 26, 2018

Catholic persecution leads to world''s most beautiful wine region....

I left Cape Town and traveled deep into the wilds of Africa- about 40 miles inland to the beautiful wine region of o Franschoek.  As you all undoubtedly know, Franschoek was founded by French Hugonauts fleeing France after the Edict of Nantes (outlawing Protestantism in France) and arriving in the Cape Town area around 1680.  Leaving religious wars aside for the moment, I think Franschoek may well be the world's most beautiful wine region, though I will have to consult my new Scottish friend for a definitive answer.  It is the prettiest I have seen, prettier even than Mendoza, which has the Andes as backdrop.

The beautiful and touristy village seems set in Austria, dominated by French style architecture and wine estates and populated by Afrikaaners (did not hear any French spoken).  Well, you can be the judge-










I rented a bike and cycled to a few wineries, but if you are lazy, you can take the wine tram (which actually seemed like a fun way to go)-


I thought i saw Geo and M waving to me as cycled by all sweaty.

And, like in Switzerland with Andrea and Carolyn, I managed to stumble (or ride into) a local wedding party getting ready to enter this beautiful old church-


i was rudely shooed a?omg to make way for the bride. Bikers are obviously not  gIVen sufficient respect. 
wAnd I had a nice meal at a French restaurant to end the day in Franschoek-




1 comment: