Sunday, February 25, 2018

Snakes and Ken ends Cape Town's drought...

On my second day in Cape Town, I planned to hike famous Table Mtn.  Of course, being naturally prudent, I asked the owner of the B&B where I was staying for any advice.  He asked me whether I was hiking alone.  The guide books advised against, I knew..  I looked around the breakfast area at these happy relaxed, middle aged English guests (tons of Brits here), and said I believe so.  Any reason I should not?

Well, he said, we advise against it for general safety reasons. 

What safety reasons specifically I inquired.

Well, the trail you are going to hike is popular but quite steep and you might twist your ankle, lose your way or perhaps get bitten by a snake.

Snakes!?!  What the heck?  Had I landed back in Australia by mistake?  I thought I had left those  behind!  Would I have to add that to the death pool list now?  Wasn't it long enough already? 

Anyway, I decided snakes were old hat and headed off.  Of course, Cape Town is in the midst of a record drought.  It has not rained much in months...so I thought at least I would have a nice clear hiking day.  Of course it was raining and completely overcast as I started.  Slippery when wet.... With my renowned luck, all they needed was for me to come and do some hiking and voila!  Drought ameliorated (sadly, not really- it rained but not much- just enough to ruin the views).

Anyway, I hiked up- about 2200 ft of vertical- and took the cable car down.  Some pics  of Lions Head and the city-





Looking towards the Cape of Good Hope-



Then for some unknown reason, I got into my head to hike Lions Head as well, as I read it was only 1 hour to the top and I had a little time.  Unsurprisingly, this turned out to be a mistake.  It was longeer, harder and more crowed than I imagined (hundreds were hiking it).   Moreover, the views were similar to a smaller hill that I drove to before, so I gained little for my pain.  Some pics tho (first ones looking to the Cape of GH)-




And our hiking traveler atop LH-

Looking northwest-



Next blog from the most beautiful wine region in the world....

1 comment:

  1. I have looked at these pictures several times to find the views ruined by the rain, but no luck. All the views look totally and in all other ways amazing.

    ReplyDelete