Monday, July 15, 2024

Georgia On My Mind

 With the connections and late flights, it took most of my vacation to get Tbilisi. I leave tomorrow to ensure I get back by August. 

Tbilisi is an interesting city  it seems a curious mix of the Middle East, Europe, Russia and Georgia (whatever that is)    Having been invaded multiple times including 3x in the last 30 years, they don’t seem to like Russia very much however-



On the plus side, English seems widely spoken here  Graffiti is also popular tho not always family friendly  

Their architecture is quite varied but my city tour guide said that balconies are very important here and nearly every house has one-



Ancient Eastern Orthodox churches abound with some as old as the 5th century -




I did find one ancient restaurant which stretches back into the mists of recorded time-


You have to give them credit for knowing how to fit in  


There’s also one mosque here as apparently the Soviets were not especially fond of religious houses in




All my life I have searched for the very best pizza and I have discovered you just need to fly 6000 miles to get it.  How do I know?  Well all you need is to read-


And this morning, well, I was a bit jet lagged and so was looking for a good sized cup of coffee.  How big exactly?


After that, I appreciated this, tho it isn’t really my style while traveling (or perhaps most of the time)-



I am not sure my emotions have inspired anyone to much beyond annoyance  

Still, Tbilisi is a fascinating, clean, safe feeling and pretty city that once sat on a spur of the Silk Road even tho flavor was apparently only discovered in 1979







No comments:

Post a Comment