Tuesday, March 3, 2020

cloud forest and the legend of the golden toad

My next trip took me the Monteverde Cloud Forest which is quite high, windy, cool and near the continental divide.  How do I know part of it straddles the continental divide?  



Little gets by me on the hiking trail  

It famous for its birds and flora, though I saw few of the former.  But clouds and a forest I saw in abundance (again, not a lot gets by me on the trail).  





If roots are your thing, you could be happy here, though I would not wish to try and dig through them-


Sometimes I hear some Boston suburbs referred to as leafy but Monteverde knows leafy-


But I was quite disconcerted to read about the demise of the 'legendary golden toad', as explained to me on this sign explaining 'what is gone' (the golden toad as it turns out)-


I am ashamed to say that I had never heard of the Golden Toad or its legend until now. Not exactly sure what was legendary about it.  Maybe it was made of real gold?  But that would seem awfully heavy for a toad.  Maybe it just had (cheap) gold flecks?  So what is legendary about that?  I don't know and apparently most of humanity will never know now either. 

 According to the sign, there were thousands of this legendary toad hanging about the Cloud Forest in 1987 but by 1989 nary a single legendary toad could be found, gold plated or otherwise.  The reason according to the sign?  If you guessed climate change, you would be dead on.  The toad was an unwitting  and early victim of climate change (really fast in his case) (and no doubt the policies of the legendary Ronald Reagan).   The toad really took climate change on his golden chin apparently and now little is left of the legend but the above sign. 

Well, I mourned the toad for a few minutes, but had a ferry to catch and was worried that the line would be very long when I got there as the website indicated there were no available spaces except a few 'drive ups'  (my car is in white but the black car had preference)



But there was some nice vistas  as I descended to the Pacific Coast-


The pleasant ferry ride helped me recover some equilibrium after my despondency over the legendary toad's devastating and appalling quick ending.  


k

No comments:

Post a Comment