Thursday, March 12, 2015


Another shot of the Guns and Roses room at the Ecomusic Hotel with my favorite band (I assume they were  a band)-

And some more of the ubiquitous street art of Valporaiso-


And one looking down to the bay and south Pacific on a misty morning-
 
In Chile whenever you buy anything (and I mean anything), they insist on giving you a printed or written receipt.  So you buy a bottle of water for $1, wait, then receipt.  You buy a subway or local bus ticket to go 1km, receipt.  Not sure why.  Maybe you have to report every expenditure to the Chilean IRS at the end of the year, including each ice cream cone you buy.  Or maybe its just the South American love of records.  But the upshot is that by the end of the day, each time I reached into my pocket to pull out some coins or my camera, a few hundred little printed receipts would spill out onto the street and I would have to pick them up. I guess it could help with budget accountability- sort of an accountants dream.

But at the metro here in Santiago (where I am now), there was a little basket right next to the window where you buy your ticket.  It was full of receipts that people had just received from buying their subway ticket.  If spoke Spanish, I might have suggested to the cashier that when you bought your ticket, you could just pull an old out from the basket and issue it to yourself.

Now, Santiago and home....

No comments:

Post a Comment