Sunday, March 8, 2015

So I rolled into Pucon in south central Chile intending to hike the active volcano, Mt Villarica.  Unfortunately, it was just a little too active as it had had an eruption a couple days before I arrived and it was closed indefinitely.   I should have known something was up when I was the only person on the bus heading into town and cars were streaing out of town with suitcases stuffed on the roofs.  And when I went to my hotel to find the hoteliers family in the car packed with suitcases and when he quickly charged me for the room, jumped in the car and roared out of town. But at least the room was cheap.

So I had to make other plans.  Fortunately, I am normally quick to adjust  and always have back up plans.  So i only spent a half a day scratching my head, staring into space and wondering what the hell I should do.  After talking to one of the tour agencies in town, I decided to hike a local peak where you get a 360 view at the top of 4 local volcanoes.  So I took a bus early the next morning to El Cani 30 km away and the bus driver dropped me off in the middle of Chilean nowhere (which is really nowhere), but surprisingly right at the trailhead.  I walked up to the small Refugio at the entrance where the sleeping wardens woke up just in time to charge me 4000 pesos to do the hike.

It was a nice hike of about 3900 ft, mostly through the woods, which usually I do not like.  But I did not mind it here as it was hot and the woods were different than in North America or Europe.  And the hike came with a nicel Chilean bathroom-
 You do see the 4 volanos, including the villian Villarica at the top-

On the way down, I did see this overflow, 2 man Refugio next to the regular Refugio..



Anyway, when I got to the bottom and was waiting for the bus, a young fellow pulled up in what looked like bakery truck and offered me a ride to Pucon, which considering the possible reliability of the Chilean local buses, I quickly accepted.  It seemed a good idea until the baker"s apprentice dropped me about 1 mile from the center of Pucon.  I was not seeking more hikig after the 11 miles up and down the mountain.

So when I got back I was pretty hot and so, determining that there were a couple of lakes quite nearby, decided to go for a swim.  I found this secluded beach, which I had almost to myself,  right around the corner from my hotel-


No comments:

Post a Comment