Friday, July 31, 2026

Pub de KGB

I left Vienna and cycled to Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. 



 


You might characterize Bratislava, with its nice but small medieval old town,  as sort of a poor man’s Prague. A really poor man’s Prague (perhaps a kind of a homeless man’s Prague)-  





 Bratislava must have gotten a great deal on bright white paint from Home Depot as I have never seen such white medieval buildings. 

In any case given their relatively backwater status in central Europe, they have evidently decided that they have no time for marketing 


And no I don’t trust them on that  

Slovakia of course was formerly part of the Soviet empire and subject to its notorious secret police, the KGB. What with the fall of the Soviet Union, the KGB was at a bit of a loss of raisin d’etre and employment and so evidently decided to get into the pub business- 




I wonder what happens if you don’t leave an appropriate tip?  Nothing good I imagine 

The Vikings also apparently passed through Bratislava on their way down the Danube and, being experienced world travelers, left their their culinary 

 


I had never associated Vikings with Kebabs but maybe they picked up in their travels as I said.  Who knows. 



No comments:

Post a Comment