Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Wads of Cash; Uruguay

 I arrived in Buenos Aires and promptly went to  change a few dollars into AR Pesos, maybe just enough to take a taxi and here is what I got-




I sympathize with anyone robbing an Argentine bank-






I had to hire a porter just to carry it to my hotel room.  I felt like a billionaire ... until I realized  I was but only in AR Pesos.   In reality, I was just a hundredaire in USD.  What am I supposed to do with this 50lb wad that takes up half a suitcase?  I had to throw out half my clothes to carry the stuff. 

Buenos reportedly has the world's widest avenue- 9 Julio.  inflation is still raging here notwithstanding the new libertarian el presidente, Mellei.  By the time I crossed the wide street, my pesos had already lost 10% of their value which wasn't much to begin with.

Still you can kind of live large in BA on a few hundred thousand pesos, or about $11-



I discovered that bottles of good AR Malbec start at about 7000 pesos  ($6) at a nice restaurant and then skyrocket from there up to about $18 if one is inclined to splurge on a special dinner.  I wish I could take this model home with me. 


A 3 course meal with steak for about $14

But it seems a bit like a dream since I left this morning by boat for Colonia, Uruguay where they dont seem to have gotten  the everything is cheap word.  Colonia is a pleasant town that was founded in the 1500s and is across the wide Rio Platte. The ferry takes about 75 minutes. 


the sky line of BA is in the far distance-



 Colonia has vestiges of its colonial past-





But the cannon nowadays just seems aimed at the ferry--



I

Interesting that someone thought it would be a good idea to place the cell tower in the pretty city parc-


But you can enjoy some nice dinner settings even if their dinner prices are exhorbitant ($20 or so)-





No comments:

Post a Comment