Sunday, March 6, 2022

Retirement Square

 I returned from the jungle more or less in one piece and spent my last day in Quito.  I took a walking tour of the city and it was quite informative.  We visited the 3 most historic churches in the city and also the main square where the Presidential palace is located across from the oldest cathedral in South America (1545)-




The Bishop's palace is on the other side of the square opposite the ancient cathedral-

In the center of the square there is a monument to those who rose against Spain and lost their lives in a bid for independence in 1809 (Equador gained independence about 25 yrs later).  So the square is known as Revolution Square, but it is mostly populated nowadays by seniors looking to finish out their golden years hanging about the square and so is locally actually known as Retirement Square-



I am thinking I may be back one day soon to join this active retired crowd and sit in pleasant Revolution Square and snooze away.  

San Francisco is a church built in the 1700s and, occupying 4 blocks is one of the largest churches in the world.  I could believe it as it seemed to go on forever-


The Jesuits also built a church beginning the 1600s (tho they were later kicked out apparently).  It looked like barroque on steriods if that isn't somehow redundant-





Finally, our guide pointed out the most expensive hotel in Ecuador which was ironically abutted by the cheapest hotel in Quito (which is actually saying something).   He indicated that  lot of people will stay in the cheap hotel (pink and on the right below) and eat at the 5 star restaurant at the expensive place.  I think I could fit in without a problem at the cheap digs, but not sure about the pricey restaurant in my blue raincoat and hiking pants-


After a morning of riding the cable car above the city to get a view from far above (but saw little but clouds), I left Quito for the last time and traveled south to the city of Banios, which is reputedly Equador's adventure center and party town.  God knows I am a party animal.  


No comments:

Post a Comment